8th toddler dies from Beni Suef rehydration solution

A 9-month-old baby named Mahmoud Sayed Kotb died at Abbasiya Fever Hospital after he was given a spoiled rehydration solution. Kotb is the eighth victim of the rehydration solution.
According to Kotb's mother, he was given the solution at Ehnasia Central Hospital before being transferred to Beni Suef General Hospital then Abbasiya hospital where he died.
"Abbasiya hospital doctors informed me that the rehydration solution included a substance that damaged my son's brain cells," she added.
Kotb's father died before he was born and he has another four-year-old brother, she said.
Seven other toddlers have died over the past month and 32 others were infected after they received the same rehydration solution in Ehnasia, Baba, and other Beni Suef hospitals.
A 6-month-old child named Abdel Rahman Shaaban, a toddler named Mahmoud Ali and another toddler named Adam Hasanein from the Baba locality suffered from cramps, high temperature, and vomiting after they were given the rehydration solution .
A medical source said Shaaban is suffering from brain inflammation, while the other two are suffering from acute intestinal infection.
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm 

Related Articles

Back to top button