US President Donald Trump made new statements on Tuesday regarding the escalation with Iran, after revealing that he had postponed an attack on the Islamic Republic following a request from three Arab leaders.
During a press conference, Trump said, “If we can reach an agreement that prevents Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, we will be satisfied with that,” adding, “I postponed the attack on Tehran for a short period, and I hope it will be forever.”
He reiterated his statements regarding the Arab request for de-escalation, saying, “Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the UAE, and other parties asked for a two- or three-day postponement of the attack because they believed an agreement was close.”
Restraint
Trump explained that the three leaders called for restraint to allow for a diplomatic process expected to lead to an agreement “very acceptable” to all parties in the Middle East.
The Gulf leaders expressed their confidence in the possibility of reaching an agreement that would ensure Iran does not possess any nuclear weapons, the US President added.
He said that he had instructed the US Department of Defense not to carry out the strike that had been planned for Tuesday, out of respect for the the joint request of the Gulf nations.
Conversely, Trump affirmed that Washington would attack Iran if diplomatic efforts failed, noting that he had directed the Pentagon to remain on high alert for a full-scale attack on Iran should an agreement that meets US demands not be reached.
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm



