Irish police arrested on Wednesday an Egyptian man suspected of stabbing to death a Japanese man and injuring two others in the north of Ireland last week.
According to media statements released by local police, the stabbing incident against the Japanese man took place at about 9:00 a.m. local time when the 24-year-old Japanese man was stabbed to death on his way to work in Dundalk a small city in Ireland.
Following the deadly incident against the Japanese man, another two separate attacks in nearby places were reported to police in which two men were attacked by someone with an iron bar.
The injuries received by the two men are not believed to be life threatening, said police.
Through intensive search operations that followed the occurrence of the three attacks, police forces arrested a man carrying two knives — initial investigation showed that the attacker is an 18-year-old man from Egypt.
The attacker entered Ireland and arrived at Dundalk on January 1 after he may have been refused an application for residence in Britain, said police, adding that the man had been in contact with police from the immigration section two days ago in relation to a possible application for residency in Ireland.