The House of Representatives approved during its plenary session, on Monday the Egyptian Presidential decree #12 of 2022 regarding the approval of the Egyptian-Swedish cooperation grant agreement worth five million Swedish kronor on urban transport and express buses between the Ministry of International Cooperation and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency.
The agreement finances the cost of consulting services to conduct studies on an express bus system in Cairo.
The objectives of the agreement are as follows:
- Identifying the pathways affected by the project, and developing a clear strategy for change and a business model for these services.
- Identifying compensation mechanisms and economic incentives for operators in order to carry out the change.
- Developing a communications plan for change and a strategy for negotiation.
- Building the capabilities of the Transport Regulation Unit in accordance with a better service plan.
- Performing a last-mile access analysis to improve non-motorized modes of travel along the buss express line corridor.
The Egyptian state is currently implementing several new transportation projects including an an express train, a Light Electric Rail and the monorail of the New Administrative Capital to reduce congestion in streets and ease traffic.