In a statement to the stock exchange, Egyptian Iron & Steel Company denied news over dismissing Chairman Mohamed Saad Negeida, reformation of the board and the end of the workers’ sit-in.
Cabinet said last week LE100 million from the production incentives will be distributed to the workers.
The holding company for Metallurgical Industries said it is holding talks with its companies to collect incentives of 16 months for steel workers, in an attempt to end the crisis which has now entered the third week. Workers have increased their demands, including dismissal of Zaki Bassiouny, head of the holding company.
Gamal Abdel Mawla, head of the Trade Union for Workers of Steel and Iron, said all statements issued from any authority other than the trade union committee are unconfirmed and will only lead to confusion among workers.
In a press conference by the committee on Saturday, Abdel Mawla said negotiations with the cabinet over receiving 16-month incentives are ongoing, especially since the LE100 million allocated by cabinet is only enough for 10 months.
He expressed the workers rejection for not being provided with coal, adding that the peaceful sit-in at the factory is ongoing and will not end before a decision of disbursing LE220 million is issued. Abdel Mawla called on workers to resume work so all demands are fulfilled.
Hamdi Khalil, an employee at administrative affairs department, said more than 400 workers headed on Saturday to cabinet to protest against the Manpower Ministry’s statement on Friday which declared end of crisis after disbursing LE100 million, dismissing the chairman and forming new board without official decisions with the solutions.
Khalil added that cabinet authorized Trade and Industry Minister Mounir Fakhry Abdel Nour and Social Solidarity Minister Ahmed al-Boraie to negotiate with representatives of the Steel & Iron Company, however, no outcome was yielded and hence the sit-in continues.
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm