
CAIRO, Nov 27 (MENA) – Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly said on Thursday that the Egyptian government is closely monitoring water reserves and implementing strategic plans to manage the country’s water resources through mid-2026, ahead of the upcoming flood season.
Speaking at a press conference after the weekly Cabinet meeting, Madbouly dismissed reports that the Toshka spillway had been opened “against the government’s will,” calling the claims inaccurate. He said the state has been tracking water levels since the inauguration of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam, noting that large releases of water from the dam had caused flooding in some Nile areas despite prior warnings.
Madbouly said the expansion of the Toshka spillway’s capacity had been planned in advance, with construction already underway and completion expected by the end of November. He added that the upgrades had improved the spillway’s efficiency, allowing it to handle larger volumes of water and strengthening Egypt’s preparedness for potential emergencies.
He said daily coordination with the Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation ensures a detailed assessment of water reserves, both for each day and for the months ahead. These measures, Madbouly said, are part of the government’s efforts to prevent unexpected damage and secure national water resources.
The prime minister also reiterated Egypt’s stance on Nile Basin development, saying Cairo supports developmental projects in upstream countries as long as they do not harm the interests of downstream nations, particularly Egypt.


