Egypt’s interim Prime Minister Hazem al-Beblawy has said he feels optimistic about the situation in Egypt, claiming he is not worried about the possibility of a civil war after hundreds died in clashes over the past week.
Beblawy told ABC news network on Tuesday he is, however, wary that the country will face troubles in coming months.
Beblawy warned that any decision by Washington to cut military aid to Egypt "will be a bad sign and will badly affect the military for some time." U.S. Congressmen have been reportedly mobilizing for halting an annual US$1.3 billion military aid package to Egypt. The White House denied taking any measure in that respect on Tuesday, despite media speculation to the contrary.
"We are sorry that at this moment there is a kind of misunderstanding [between the U.S. and Egypt]," Beblawy said. "There is a lot of misunderstanding and I'm sure that the time will work to the benefit of both sides."
Beblawy reiterated that sit-ins by backers of deposed President Mohamed Morsy at Rabaa al-Adaweya Square and al-Nahda Square were not peaceful. Dispersal of the st-ins left hundreds dead.
Egypt's interim prime minister claimed all steps had been taken to resolve the crisis with the Muslim Brotherhood peacefully.